Car tech is evolving at lightning speed!
Car tech is evolving at lightning speed. Driverless vehicles, hands-free parking and electric engines are already a reality in many parts of the world but there are many other clever innovations coming down the pipe in the automotive world in 2018.
Head of Gumtree Autos Jeff Osborne picks his top seven trends to look out for.
2. Augmented reality test drives are taking off. Several manufacturers are providing downloadable 3-D driving experiences and How-To features. Hyundai is one brand that’s a long way down the AR road already.
Also read: Gumtree launches new Vintage Car Category
3. In-car entertainment is a now huge priority for manufacturers. A self-drive vehicle means that the driver is free to connect with their business life or with entertainment, so expect enhanced in-car live streaming capabilities, augmented reality window displays, upgraded TV screens and bespoke music systems.
4. Dash cams are increasingly required for insurance claims and some manufacturers (notably Citroen with its Connected-CAM) are building them into their vehicles as standard on top-spec cars.
5. Solar power from the windscreen may be some way off but the experts are working hard on it and the vision is that special car glass will enable the vehicle to be powered by the sun.
6. Side panel batteries are becoming a real thing. Researchers are testing polymer fibre and carbon resin door panels which could store power and be capable of fast recharge. This would significantly reduce the weight of the vehicle.
7. Computer security features will become increasingly important. Top end cars are now sophisticated computer networks on wheels and manufacturers are using artificial intelligence to develop ‘live’ protection from hacking or viruses which could affect the vehicle’s security or performance.
Via: Gumtree South Africa